Thursday, January 18, 2007

iPhone hype

I'll admit I'm not up on the latest gadgets. I only got an iPod after I won one and I still don't even have a cell phone or PDA of any type. Reading through the info on the iPhone I can't help but wonder if people are going to be disappointed by all it doesn't do:
  • No removable storage
  • Cingular-only in the US
  • No 3G support
  • Can't be used as a laptop modem
  • No Word or Excel support
  • No synchronization with corporate e-mail
  • No third-party applications
Okay, it could be argued that the iPhone is not meant to be a corporate device. Its focus is on consumer media. Even then it's still lacking. No removable media is still a big deal, as is the lack of high-bandwidth networking. Furthermore:
  • No voice dialing or voice memos.
  • iTunes isn't included, so you can't download songs over the air. The iPhone will have to be connected to a computer for that.
  • It only has 8GB of storage maximum. For a device trotted out as a portable video player that's simply not enough.
  • It's all touch screen. Many users prefer the tactile feedback of real buttons, even if they don't know it yet.
I'm sure there will be a market for the iPhone, but Steve Jobs' target of 10 million units by the end of 2008 is going to be a tremendous stretch.

No comments:

Post a Comment