Thursday, January 17, 2008

Embedded view bug

I have an old app that I'm redesigning and consolidating multiple lightly-used databases into one. The old design was a typical three-panel layout. I wanted to do something fresh and easier to understand. I decided that instead of the typical tree hierarchy I'd flip it sideways, with a caption table replacing the top-level tree items, and tabs inside the caption table to represent the lower-level views.


It looked good on paper, but in Domino Designer 8, 7.0.2, and 7.0.3 there is a bug with this configuration. When you...
  1. Select a tab with an embedded view and
  2. Select a different row in the caption table
  3. You get this

It's a little hard to tell what's going on here, so let me explain. The caption rows expand and collapse properly. The tabbed table in the previously selected caption row disappears. But the embedded view stays put, covering the newly expanded caption and any others below it. I can't select any other caption row and I can't add anything to the current caption row.

Now for the real kick in the rubber parts: it only does this in Domino Designer. It works perfectly in Notes 8 Basic/Standard, 7.0.2 and 7.0.3. So far I have come up with three workarounds in Domino Designer:
  1. Close the form, and save it so the currently expanded caption will be visible when you reopen.
  2. Use a blank dummy tab at the end, and select that before changing caption rows.
  3. Scrap this altogether and find another solution.
I chose option 3, partly because of this bug and partly because it's still not intuitive enough. I'll blog more after I have that built later this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment