Saturday, March 06, 2010

playing the hand you're dealt


To cut to the chase, I'll be starting classes at the Art Institute in July. Trust me, you couldn't possibly be any more surprised than I am.

By now you know I was selected as one of five finalists in a Food Network and Art Institutes scholarship contest, but I couldn't accept because the cost of acceptance was too high. The events that led from there to here still seem like a dream.

The contest rules state the scholarship can only be used for an associate or bachelor degree program, which cost $53,000 and $80,000, respectively. When I spoke with the contest coordinator I explained I couldn't cover the gap between the scholarship and the total cost of the degree. She took this back to the Food Network and AI, and they agreed to change the rules of the scholarship.

The Art Institute also offers a culinary arts certificate program, which is only three quarters long and only covers the core culinary classes. It also only costs $23,000, and I can cover $3,000 a lot more easily than $33,000, so I accepted the scholarship.

Even though I have known I was the winner for a while I was waiting for someone to pull the rug from under me. Stuff like this doesn't happen to me. As of yesterday, it's really official: Food Network Scholarship Announcement.

25 comments:

  1. Congratulations Charles!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grinning from ear to ear, that's so freggin awesome!
    And this didn't really "happen TO you", you made it happen, give yourself come credit. That's just like when people say "you're so lucky you get to live in paradise"

    Sure, luck is a small part of it but....."If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way to make it happen." Congratulations!

    Am now doubly excited about the next chapter in your life, specifically with Myron's current dream :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soooo cool! Contrats, Charles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Wow. Wow. Congrats and mazal tov. I can't wait to someday be eating in Chef Robinson's restaurant. So awesome and you made it happen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats Charles! How exciting! And I'm sooo jealous! You'll have to one day teach me the tricks of the trade.

    Best to you! You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulation Charles! Awesome news and Francie is right, *you* made it happen.
    I'm really happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. That's wonderful Charles! Congrats !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome news. Congratulations, Charles!!! Looking forward to reading more of your culinary pursuits as you progress towards chefdom. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Charles! This takes awesome to an entirely new level.

    "And the chef's special today is yellowfin tuna with lotus infused "

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. ...that was supposed to read "lotus infused (something that tastes good with an infusion of lotus)" where the parentheses were tag brackets. Oh well :-).

    ReplyDelete
  11. totally totally awesome. omg. congrats dude. just freakin congrats.

    so so cool. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Charles, just wow - and I am SOOOOO jealous! Way to go after what you want.restom

    ReplyDelete
  13. Huge congratulations to you, sir. The first time you actually appear on the Food Network, I'm going to point at the TV screaming "I KNOW HIM! I KNOW HIM!!!'

    Just make sure you create a signature dish with lotus root. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Far out. It's annoying the weird ways the yellowverse loses good people.


    BTW, my "word verification" is "cohosed"

    ReplyDelete
  15. woop! woop! i'm not surprised...

    good things come to those who wait and deserve them :)

    i'm very happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. woop! woop! i'm not surprised...

    good things come to those who wait and deserve them :)

    i'm very happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Totally brilliant Charles. Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so totally cool!!! Congratulations!

    I can't wait to be in the lobby of your restaurant saying, "What do you mean I have to wait like everyone else? I KNOW Charles! I write comments on his blog and everything...".

    ReplyDelete
  19. Way to go and get them to help you out! Go get it, have fun and don't look back. Jealous I am, but I look forward to your recipes and 1st cookbook..of a non-IT kind.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is awesome news, and very much deserved. Well done, Charles!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Outstanding! Excellent news and I cannot wait to hear more about your new path. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is superb! Many congratulations. Follow that dream ...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks everyone. I appreciate the kind words and I'm a little overwhelmed by the response. :-) I apologize for taking so long to respond, I was in Mexico when I posted this and my Internet connection was awful.

    I'm not sure where this will go from here. I start classes in July and will finish in March 2011. Many of you know Myron and I are considering moving to Mexico at some point. It's definitely not going to be dull around here. :-)

    ReplyDelete