Monday, August 11, 2008

not following the money

Seth Godin makes a really interesting point
No, people (most people) don't do things only for money. There's usually a minimum threshold that gets someone to pick a job and stick with it, but beyond that, the things we do are expressions of who we are and what we love and the impact we wish to make, not selfish acts designed to earn a few extra bucks.

In May 2007 I quit the only job I've ever had working with Notes and a few people have asked why I'm still participating in the Lotus community since I don't work with Notes or Domino in my day job. My response has been that I still do consulting on the side, but that will be ending soon. I still intend to participate in the community, though.

It's obviously not about the money. It's also not a matter of visibility or attention. Believe it or not I'm very shy and introverted and I don't do this because I want attention. No, the main reason I continue to participate is because of the passion I have for the community. I think I'm one of Lotus' biggest critics, but I'm also a raving fan. If I didn't care I wouldn't be as vocal, and if I felt that my position were adequately represented in the community I wouldn't be blogging.
I feel that I have something to add to the discussion and as long as I get feedback showing others agree I'll continue. When I become the lone voice in my crackpot corner of the world I'll choose another place to frequent.

What do you get out of participating in the community?

3 comments:

  1. Odd as it is, my job is not Lotus related anymore (not directly anyway) either, but you won't see me disappearing from the community anytime!

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be the first to admit that participating in the community is very important to my job-- but it has also become way more than that. I really enjoy the real friendships that have grown out of this virtual community.

    Mary Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's critical for me now. In many ways, our community has transcended "friends", and I think of many of these people as family. I know them more than I know my neighbors, who I live next to and see every day.

    You can't read blogs and share innermost thoughts without some fondness or closeness squeaking through. Over time, it deepens and strengthens.

    It's the same reason that I jump at any chance to see these people face to face, including paying my own way for Lotusphere. Some things are more important than money.

    I spend all day working alone (well, things have changed, but only slightly!), so now it's more important than ever to have these friends.

    ReplyDelete