Wednesday, July 02, 2008

My time with Twitter

Some of you have discovered that I have been using Twitter for the last couple of weeks. It has been interesting to see how Twitter is used in our community. People tweet about everything. Literally. From the automated updates that tell you every single place they are (complete with links to maps) to random pictures they take with their phones, to the occasional technical question, to links to blog posts (linking through PlanetLotus, of course, to hopefully end up on the hot list). Some of it is interesting, some of it is useful, a lot of it is pure ASW.

Then there were the errors and outages. The all too commonly seen cute image of a dead whale getting hauled skywards by birds confuses and enrages me (to quote Morbo).


And what the hell is this about? Why on Earth is this acceptable? Just shoot me now if I ever have to rely on any service that is down as often as Twitter.


I was trying to break from my Luddite ways. I tried Twitter. I didn't find it at all useful and the service is a steaming heap of utter failure, so I deleted my account. I'm glad some of you find it worthwhile, it's just a huge waste of time for me.

P.S. As I was deleting my account I got the over capacity fail whale again, then Status: 500 Internal Server Error Content-Type: text/html . It took me five tries to finally delete my account.

3 comments:

  1. Earlier today, Toohey linked me to failwhale.com, a fansite dedicated entirely to the Twitter over capacity logo. Sad commentary that a site could be so unreliable that its unreliability could inspire an entire merchandising line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate the 'over capacity' thing, their problem is 'under capacity'!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have inspired me to rant about Twitter, sir!

    Although your comments seem to focus on the quality of the service, I've been a bit more rude....

    ReplyDelete