Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Lotusphere websites oddity

I left for vacation on November 9th. I come back to find this in my Inbox:

Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 13:19:07 -0500 [11/13/2007 06:19:07 PM America/New York]

The Lotusphere Content Team would like your input on final content
direction for Lotusphere 2008...

A couple of paragraphs later it goes on to say this:

Deadline to submit your preferences and BoF vote is November 23, 2007

Umm.. okay... so roughly 10 days to provide feedback? That seems a little short to me, but I guess the show must go on. I'm honestly a little ticked off since I purposefully registered early just so I could provide my input.

Anyway, I didn't get back from vacation until November 25th but I decided to try logging in anyway. I did this because the session abstract submission is still active so I figured the preferences app would probably still be up as well. It is, and it accepted my selections even though the breakout sessions list is already finalized.

This isn't a complaint so much as an observation. The devil is in the details, and this is yet another example of where IBM drops the ball. Instead of letting people submit abstracts and preferences after the deadline it should give a "Thanks for your interest, voting/submissions are closed" message. In typical megacorp fashion, they leave the user in limbo wondering whether their submission was actually processed.

No comments:

Post a Comment