Friday, October 26, 2007

A word of warning about VMWare networking

When you configure VMWare Workstation you can set it up to use bridged networking. When you do this, VMWare creates a couple of virtual adapters it uses for communication:




These are assigned static IP addresses in separate networks in the 192.168.0.0 range. I'm not sure how it chooses which networks to use, but I'm guessing it looks at current established routes and picks something that won't interfere. Hopefully you can see where this is headed...

I ran into a problem where I couldn't connect to a server in 192.168.3.0. And you guessed it, it turned out that VMWare had assigned 192.168.3.1 to one of its virtual interfaces, which created route statements that redirected traffic. With VMWare becoming increasingly popular I wanted to point this out, just in case someone else notices strange results.

No comments:

Post a Comment